Located on the Beautiful South Shore of Long Island
The Havens owned all the Moriches from Terrill River to Senix Creek north to Dongans Line (approximately Sunrise Highway). At this time the Havens Family built a small gable roof structure. A new structure was built to the west of the old house in the Dutch Colonial style c1750. No changes are known to have been made until c1898 then the new 2 ½ story Dutch Gambrel Colonial Revival style addition, was built to the west end of the 1750’s Dutch Colonial.
In 1898 when the Dutch Gambrel Colonial Revival addition was conceived, there was a complete remodel of the c1755 Historic Dutch Colonial. This was a significant alteration to make the old house work comfortably with the new addition. All walls, doors, windows and floor boards were changed, dormers were added to reflect the new life style.
The present floor plan reflects the c1898 period. This is our Historic Havens Homestead interpretive period. When the Homestead was moved across CR80 to its current location, it was rotated 180 degrees.
Restoration is ongoing to further clarify the internal appearance of the homestead of Sara Margaret Havens, the last descendent of John Scudder Havens.
The Havens family is one of the original families of Suffolk County, with William Haven arriving from Rhode Island onto Shelter Island in 1635. He died in 1680. His son George (? - 1706) was the first Havens on Long Island, buying property on Shelter Island. He was buried in New London, Connecticut.
George's son, John Havens (1685 - 1750) was born in Connecticut but moved to Shelter Island in 1699 and in 1745 John purchased land in South Haven. He married Sarah Conkling. Their son Benjamin ran the Havens-Terry-Ketcham Inn during the Revolutionary War. Most of the local Havens' families descend from him. He was buried in South Haven in 1750.
In 1755 his son, John H. (1711-1797) purchased half of Warretta Neck (now Terrell's River Park) on the east of Center Moriches. It contained a small house, barn and various other out buildings. The Colonial Dutch Gambrel contains hand hewn beams and split lath showing its 18th century origins. That building was added on to in 1898. It is the west side of the Historic Havens Homestead.
In 1769 his son, Captain John Havens, bought the other half of Warretta Neck as well as Orchard Neck, adjacent to Orchard Neck Creek. Captain John married Abigail Bostwick. They are buried in the Beachfern Rd. Cemetery along with four of their children. They attended church services in South Haven, the closest church at the time.
Col. John Havens (1787-1850), son of Captain John and Abigail, sold his land and moved to Patchogue to run the General Store. He married Eliza Ketcham from Eaton's Neck. They had two sons, John Scudder who remained in Patchogue to run their store and Charles Smith, who moved back to Moriches in 1864 and rented William Penny's store, buying it in 1869. John Scudder became supervisor of Brookhaven Town.
John Scudder Havens was brought up on his farther's farm in East Patchogue and attended the Bellport Academy. He clerked and eventually owned a general store in Patchogue. He took on his brother Charles and they ran it until it burned down. It was rebuilt in brick. James Shand purchased it in 1914. In 1995 it became the Brick House Brewery on West Main Street and the corner of Havens Avenue.
John Scudder Havens served in New York State Assembly and as a Brookhaven Town Supervisor. In 1857 he purchased the homestead back for $6200 because his father had been in debt and had sold it in the 1820s. In 1865, he married Mary Pelletreau of Southampton, L.I. Her portrait is hanging at the Havens House.
John Scudder Haven and Mary had four children, Eliza, Archibold Sydney, Amee, and Sarah Margaret, but none married. The last direct descendent of the original Havens family, their daughter Sarah Margaret Havens, died in 1965, leaving no will. The house passed to Robert H. Pelletreau, Mary's first cousin. He gave the house to the Moriches Bay Historical Society in 1974. The Historical Society moved the house from its original location at Warretta Neck to the north side of Montauk Highway, where it stands today.